Sensory Engagement activity expert with seasons of hands-on experience
Activity Pathways is a healthcare education company on a quest to push back stigma around mental health and aging. Nancy, a healthcare catalyst, promotes the benefits of purpose, exploration and play, elements of human wellness. A devoted Activity Practitioner for over 30 years, designs, and delivers products and speaks nationally
Here’s how founder Nancy Richards describes her motivation for launching Activity Pathways:
“In 2009, I decided to take the post-it note off my computer about the 3 Cs of life and put them into action. What are the three Cs? Choices, Chances, and Changes. You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change. Having been in the field of Long Term Living Activity Services for over 20 years working for other people, I found my values were not in harmony with the corporate setting. I made the choice to take the chance to fulfill a lifelong goal to open my own business, Activity Pathways knowing engagement empowers people and cultivates well being.
Having lived a dual life, working as an Activity Professional by day and by night providing care for family members, she has learned how to navigate the complex landscape of health care and strives to inform families how to make sense of it all. Each situation demands and receives individual honor and support. Her coworkers and elders she’s served agree she is kind-hearted, smart and savvy, enthusiastic, hopeful, energetic, generous, and funny. She is a passionate , creative person who is deeply committed to helping elders live happier, healthier lives reaching beyond the reactive medical model approach she embraces the WHOLE person model of care.” She has:
- Enjoyed working in all levels of long-term living, including physical rehabilitation, and acute, inpatient mental health services—her subspecialty since 2001
- Lived experience as a family caregiver for aging relatives living with cancer, dementia and post-stroke challenges
- Designed and delivered live and virtual workshops nationally, keynote presentations and products.
- Graduate of Wesley College & Gwynedd Mercy University, emphasis in Gerontology
- Certified through the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP)
- Activity Director Certified(ADC) with Education, Memory Care specializations
- Approved Instructor for the Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals (MEPAP)
- Certified Chair Chi Instructor
- Certified Mental Health First Aid
Find more information about Nancy on LinkedIn.
Based in beautiful Montgomery County, Activity Pathways is a mobile education service with an owner who is inspired by Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns who said “Fearlessness is seeing an opportunity even though things are not broken.” Nancy is a voracious reader who loves sitting in her Grandmother’s white wicker chair; she also enjoys gardening and loves farmer markets, pairing dark chocolate with a good Merlot, collecting seashells, cooking, exploring local parks, power walking and Teardrop Camping adventures.
Professional Activities & Memberships
- NAAP Education Council projects
- PA Activity Professional Association