Sensory Engagement activity expert with seasons of hands-on experience
Activity Pathways has been serving elders & their families, carepartners, Activity Directors, and health care professionals in the Philadelphia metropolitan area and beyond since 2009. Our mission is to bring hope & healing to elders, their families & carepartners by sharing knowledge, unique approaches & creative ways to use activities to connect with folks living with mental health qualities needing continuing care.
Here’s how founder Nancy Richards describes her motivation for launching Activity Pathways:
“In 2009, I decided to take the post-it note off my computer about the 3 Cs of life and put them into action. What are the three Cs? Choices, Chances, and Changes. You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change. Having been in the field of Long Term Living Activity Services for over 20 years working for other people, I found my values were not in harmony with the corporate setting. I made the choice to take the chance to fulfill a lifelong goal to open my own business, Activity Pathways knowing that engagement empowers people and cultivates well being. Activity Pathways, mobilizing the power of therapeutic activities.
Having lived a dual life, working as an Activity Professional by day and by night providing home care for family members, she has learned how to navigate the complex landscape of health care and strives to inform families how to make sense of it all. No cookie cutter answers here. Each situation demands and receives individual honor and support. Nancy has been described as “The Activity Director With Heart.” Her supervisors, coworkers, staff, and the elders she’s served agree that she is kind-hearted, smart and savvy, enthusiastic,hopeful, energetic, generous, and funny. She is a passionate , creative person who is deeply committed to helping elders live happier, healthier lives reaching beyond the reactive medical model approach she embraces the WHOLE person model of care.” She has:
- Has enjoyed working with elders in all levels of long-term living, including physical rehabilitation, skilled nursing, assisted living, and behavioral health—her subspecialty since 2001
- Real-life experience as a home-based caregiver for aging relatives living with cancer, dementia and post-stroke challenges
- Designs and delivers live workshops, keynote presentations, webinars and products.
- Graduate of Wesley College & Gerontology Certificate Program from Gwynedd Mercy University
- National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP) Certifications:
- Activity Director Certified(ADC), Education, Memory Care specializations
- Approved Instructor for the Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals (MEPAP)
- Certified Dementia Practitioner (CDP)
- Certified Chair Chi Instructor
- Certified Mental Health First Aid
Find more information about Nancy on LinkedIn.
Based in beautiful Montgomery County, Activity Pathways is a mobile education service with an owner who is inspired by Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns who said “Fearlessness is seeing an opportunity even though things are not broken.” Nancy is a voracious reader who loves sitting in her antique white wicker chair; she also enjoys gardening and loves farmer markets, pairing dark chocolate with a good Merlot, collecting seashells, cooking, exploring local parks, hiking and power walking
Professional Activities & Memberships
- NAAP Education Council projects